Thursday, December 6, 2007

Learning Journal #3

Today's presentation for us went a little longer than originally anticipated. I think our discussions were awesome and everyone was engaged which means that the chapter was interesting. I enjoyed listening to everyone's interpretations of what we read. As we were walking to each group when we began the jigsaw part of our presentation listening to the discussion was interesting. The one article that I didn't care for because I thought there was way too much anger was Malcolm X's article. I purposely went with that one group that was reflecting on it so that I can see what their interpretation of the article was. I was way off base on my view point. I thought Malcolm was negative and focused too much of his anger on the "white" person. I wondered whether his anger stemmed from being in prison and his association with Muhammed or if his anger was evident before his imprisonment. I know that he wanted to educate himself and he did it via writing the dictionary words and their vocabulary meaning. Throughout his imprisonment and his self-education he kept bashing the white race. The converstations with the other groups did not even lean towards these feelings that I felt. That's why they're mine, but..hmmm, was I way off base?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't feel the anger and hatred in this excerpt by Malcom X that I have "felt" before but I still don't think you were way off base - everyone gets out of it their own thing.

If you do still feel way off base, is it possible that you recalled your own knowledge of Malcolm X and what he stood for at some point in his life and let that "color" your thinking as you were reading?

It's all so subjective...don't beat yourself up over it.

See you Thursday!