Thursday, November 29, 2007

Learning Journal #2 11/29/07

I truly enjoyed having our discussion in a Socratic circle. I disagree with the teacher who mentioned that she doesn't see using this method in an 8th grade classroom. I think you absolutely can use it at least from 3rd grade on down. As we were watching the video presentation I was thinking how I could use it in my classroom. I teach 4th grade. I absolutely think they will benefit them having discussions where they can face each other as they respond critically to any issue or topic that we have in the classroom, that is happening in today's society, or a discussion that the teacher might bring to the class for discussion. The conversation might not be as intense if used in the younger primary grades as much as in an intermediate classroom, however, I think we can get some pretty good discussions going on. I like reading the book and discussing it in this Socratic circle. I'll have to tell you that I think that some of the quiet teachers need to speak up a little more because they very rarely speak (Stacey and Karen). Ha!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Terry,

You weren't the only teacher who "sounded off" about how you disagree about what age group this could be used with. I think your right about having "less intense" topics...some of it may even about teaching them how to have a discussion be a learner/speaker in a group.

I'm glad you like reading the book!

Billie